Savvy Watering Tips for Summer
Our MOJO Display Homes have gorgeous landscaping designs and eye-catching gardens, which our customers love using as inspiration, but we are always really cautious how we care for our gardens, especially when it comes to outdoor water use.
As we welcome the warmer months, NSW have recently put in place new water restrictions across parts of the state, including Sydney, Illawarra, Blue Mountains and the Hunter.
More than 85% of Greater Sydney and the Hunter's water supply relies on rain. This means that our water is in short supply during prolonged droughts. If we all do our bit and save a little, together we'll make a big difference.
With the help of Sydney & Hunter Water, we’ve put together a list of tips on how to save water when taking care of your garden and lawns:
- To avoid the heat of the day, only water your lawns and gardens before 10am and after 4pm by a hand-held hose with a trigger nozzle or a watering can or bucket.
- After an alternative? Drip Irrigation systems are permitted along with automated weather adjustments, rain sensors, and soil moisture sensors.
- New turf may be watered for one week after it's been delivered, as long the turf supplier’s instructions are followed.
- Standard sprinklers, soaker hoses, weep hoses, or tap timers are banned under the water restrictions.
- Use of recycled water, greywater, or rainwater to water gardens is permitted.
- When cleaning external, hard surfaces spot clean only with a hose fitted with trigger nozzle or with high pressure cleaning equipment
- Wash vehicles using a bucket, high pressure cleaning equipment or a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle
- Tip: wash your car on the grass, you’ll not only have a sparkly clean car, your grass will be extremely thankful.
- Choose the right plants: Local native varieties and other water wise plants (succulents) need less maintenance and watering.
- Mulching plants is the ultimate water saver, reducing evaporation and providing nutrients to the plant
- Ever thought about fake turf? It’ll stay greener for longer and doesn’t need a drop!
To learn more about the Level 1 Water Restrictions see below: