CakeBoi's Red Velvet Cake Recipe
A Red Velvet cake is a traditional cake and is one of Reece’s favourite cake recipes. We were lucky enough to get this recipe off Reece to share with our MOJO family!
Reece’s store, CakeBoi is in a suburb of Newcastle called Hamilton and is open Monday to Saturday. For all your cake needs, follow @cakeboinewy on Instagram and head to his store to try one of his famous cakes for yourself.
Head over to our IGTV channel to watch the full cooking demo and be inspired to Bake Passionately with MOJO Homes!
- 115g Salted butter, soften
- 10g Vanilla bean paste
- 250g Butter milk
- 10g Vinegar
- 2 Large eggs, room temperature
- 10g Cocoa powder
- 300g Self raising flour
- 300g Caster sugar
- 10g Red food colouring
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 340g Salted butter, soften
- 500g Icing Sugar Mixture
- 500g Cream cheese
- 5g Vanilla bean paste
Preheat oven to 160°C, Grease 2 x 7inch Tins
- With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar on a medium speed until pale. Add the eggs and vanilla then beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Prepare the dry mixture by sifting the cocoa powder and flour together then place to the side. Mix together the vinegar, butter milk and the red food colouring then place to the side.
- Add ½ of the dry and ½ of the wet to the butter, gently fold to ensure mixture is well combined.
- Pour the batter into two prepared pans. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the centres are springy to the touch. When done, let them cool in their pans for about 5 minutes, then take them out and put onto a wire rack.
For the icing
- Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix on high until icing is well combined and smooth.
- Trim the cakes to make them level
- Cover each layer of cake with a layer of the frosting, stacking as you go
- Use a spatula or bench scraper to smooth off the sides of the cake
- Decorate outside of cake with leftover trimming